Saturday, December 30, 2017

| 2017 in Review |

2017 was a crazy year.  Every year that goes by, it seems time just swings along even faster.  As always, I tend to look back on the past year and reflect on how much I have been taught.  It is easy, in the moment, to forget the big picture.  But when the New Year rolls into town, it is always good to stop and contemplate how far you've come and how much you've learned.  And so, in retrospect, I am going to highlight a few moments from this past year that stood out to me.


On to the Next One -

This year included the finish of my freshman year at college, and yet another move.  I have really enjoyed this years classes and roommates, but I won't forget last years!  We made some memories, fellas.


Yes, we did finish out the year in matching outfits.


Road Trips -

The drive between Moscow and Seattle is just over five hours.  At least that is what it should be.  But having done it as many times as I have, you're bound to run out of luck.  And it did.  There was one time a few of us were driving back and we got stuck on Snoqualmie pass.  Due to inclement weather, it took us nearly 16 hours to get back home.  That's pretty bad, right?  Well, in the summer, roadtripping back with one of my roommates, we blew a tire and sat on the side of the road for four hours waiting for road side assistance.  But because we were less than half way there and we had a donut on, we decided to spend the night.  So, overall, the road trip took 22 hours to complete.  Oh, I-5, you will forever hold wonderful memories for me.



What a day that was.

Pike Place -

Since living in Seattle, we have been able to visit some landmarks while on breaks.  Pike Place being the most popular one.  For me, it is a really interesting place, but it is always more enjoyable when we go with friends who haven't been.  And we have had the pleasure of going with quite a few of our different friends.



Some of the crew.
Sporting Events -

Despite being far from the Midwest which holds many of my favorite sports team, I still have managed to keep in touch with the sporting world by going to watch some of the Northwestern teams.  Including going to Seattle to watch the Mariners play host to the Royals. And also watching the Washington State Cougars at a couple of their home games.



Definitely not Phog Allen.

Three-on-Three Tournament -

I didn't know anything about Hoopfest before moving here, but apparently it is the biggest 3-on-3 basketball tournament in the world.  I was able to participate in that this past summer with a great group of guys.  (We placed 2nd in our bracket.  Not too bad.)

Home made jerseys and everything.
V-Day -

This year, Valentine's Day became something I actually looked forward to celebrating.  The guys in the class of 2020 threw a Valentine's Day dinner and dance for the women in our class.  By all accounts, it was a very enjoyable night.



This Happened -

This was one of the biggest highlights in my opinion.  My older sister got engaged.  And better yet, their wedding is two weeks from today.  Big tip of the cap.

What do the young bloods say these days?  Goals.

Wordsmithy . . . And a number of other conferences -

There is never a shortage of conferences in Moscow.  Grace Agenda, Wordsmithy, and Parenting Conference to name just a few.  But my favorite, and the one that impacted me the most was Wordsmithy.  That really left me reeling.  So many good writers and teachers.



Not included in the above list is the coffee talks, late night studying, tough nights at work, bellies full of laughter, and friendships that sharpen.  Everything that made up this year I am very grateful for.  

Bring on 2018.

No comments: