Tuesday, January 1, 2019

| 2018 Year in Review - Counting My Blessings |

Another year has swept by and all I can do is just sit here and count my blessings.  It truly astounds me what the Father had drawn up for this last year.  Life is truly a story. All of our attempts at creating stories are but poor imitations of the real story that is being written in this very moment.  Every year gone by is another chapter read.  It is another chapter lived and breathed and laughed.   In life, there are actual cliffhangers and actual wounds.  There are actual happy endings and triumphs.  There are actual wounds and sorrows, hugs and victories.  It is very fast and hard-hitting, which is why I am appreciative of holidays like New Years. New Years is a time within the passing of time to look back and reflect.  It is easy in the midst of the rustling and turning of the pages, that you forget the narrative arcs that wrap up that year into the lessons and challenges that have been given to you.

Looking back, I see specific moments.  Not just moments, but the accumulated pool of memories in those moments.  It can be the beginning of that specific stream of memory or the conclusion.  These are the moments that define the chapter that was this year.

January 13, 2018 - Mr and Mrs Shaw 

The New Year opened with the wedding of my sister to her fiance.  They are now Mr and Mrs Eric Shaw.  It was a beautiful ceremony.  The laughter, joy, and love displayed in their wedding were a representation of what their relationship is.  This was a wonderful beginning to what would be a challenging and fruitful year for them.

PC: Courtney Skeen

Laughter, joy, and love. (PC: Elizabeth Allison Dickson.)
Spring Break - Wallowas

Spring Break marked another memory for me.  That week, a group of guys and I went to the Wallowas in Oregon.  We did quite a bit of hiking in the surrounding mountains and also accomplished a polar bear plunge in the local ice-cold lake. This week was just a smaller picture of a much larger gift that the Lord has given me over the years.  The brothers that I have grown with over the last couple of years at school have filled a gap that I have missed over the years.  I cannot underestimate just how important brotherly fellowship is.  My cup is full.



PC: Sam Nyhus.
May 11, 2018 - First Date

The Lord decided that it was time for the next step.  During this period of my life, I was praying that the Lord would draw me closer to Himself and eliminate distractions.  I didn't have any intentions of striking up a relationship - but He thankfully had other plans.  On May 10, I talked to a father for the first time.  The next day, I took this wonderful woman out on a date.  The incredible thing about this part of the story was the fact that I was leaving for three months just three days into our relationship . . . and she was headed to Alaska.  (If that doesn't testify to how amazing she is, then I don't know what does.)  Talk about a difficult first test! Don't worry, it all turned out well in the end.  (Spoiler alert: We're getting married in May.)



May 14, 2018 - Off to Southern Idaho


I head to southern Idaho to spend the summer working construction with my friend and his family.  It was an incredible opportunity that I will never forget.  The Friedel family welcomed me into their home and made it a very adventurous summer as we explored different state parks on our weekends off.

ShoneShone Falls.


Fall Break - Road Trippin'

Sam, Ruth and I go to Boise, Idaho to visit family and spend some quality time in the state capital.  During this time, we consumed good donuts and coffee and explored places like Freak Alley, a corn maze, and the old Idaho State Penitentiary.  



September 29, 2018 - Uncle Status Achieved

Graham Everett Shaw is born.  This part of the chapter was probably the most challenging to live out.  
May . . . Micaiah and Eric announce that they are pregnant with their first child!  Joy.  
September. . .Micaiah and Eric are choppered to Spokane due to complications with the pregnancy. Anxiety.
September 29. Graham is born.  Elation.
September 20 - December 13.  Graham remains in the hospital, spending most of that time in the NICU.  Brave little man battled.  Both Micaiah and Eric are given plenty of scares.  Trust and prayer.
December 14.  Graham Everett Shaw comes home.  Joy.  

The Lord is good.  (PC: Elizabeth Dickson.)

November 20, 2018 - Engaged

Two and a half years ago, we were just classmates. Two and a half years later, we are engaged.  

Growing up, my dad always taught me to treat people as if my future wife was in the room.  How would you want her to see you?  For me, it was more of a principle, not something that actually would happen.  Little did I know that all of those movie nights, study groups, and dances that our class held - that you were actually in the room.  The things that I first noticed about you was that you were really easy to talk, that you had the same corny humor that I did, and that you were incredibly beautiful.  Call me a cheese triangle if you will, but the joy and love that you have for the Lord, life, and the rest of the world continue to impress me each and every passing day. I am constantly amazed that you decided that you saw me in your future.  

I'm looking forward to spending the rest of my life with you.

You're truly a blessing from God.

I love you, Ruth.

And no, the ring was not in the coffee.

Never gonna let you go..


PC: Emily Robinson.  She does incredible work and took these engagement photos!  (Find her site here: https://emilyrobinsonphotography.com/)

I hope you all have a wonderful New Year!  God bless.

No comments: